Saturday, July 31, 2010

Japan: Part 2 - Shopping Tokyo! Places that your wallet will thank you for

Ueno- Ameyochoko


Underneath the railway tracks are rows of shops and eateries. I finally found my elusive unagi speciality shop here! There’s lots of shops selling branded toiletries at cheap prices, secondhand branded bags and watches, sports stuff and clothes (mostly for men though!).


You may also want to pop by Ueno Park, which is located next to the subway as well. There's a huge pond, a zoo, lots of greenery etc.

Akihabara


Lots of electronics stores, with lots of men gawking at the kawaii girls advertising for the maid cafes. For girls who are not that techy (ie. me), I recommend just going into a major brand e.g. Yodabashi Camera, which is right at the subway exit. It’s 8 stories high and carries everything, from cameras to mp3 players to televisions. My sister made me buy limited-edition Audio-technica earphones for her, which was around 50% cheaper compared to shops in Singapore.

Ikebukuro


Ooh, this area is fun! Full of pachinko parlours, and afforable shopping. I scored lovely, pretty hats here for around JPY 1,000. There’s also a major mid-priced complex - Sunshine City, which houses an indoor theme park "Namco Namja Town".

No comments:

Post a Comment